Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Rex's post from Day 4 (September 2)

Day 4, Tuesday September 2, 2014
Spearfish, South Dakota
236 Miles, 1390 Miles So Far

Editors Correction: In Day 3 when I referred to Roads 16 and 16A, it should have been 14 and 14A.  I have no idea how I got those confused.

Well we finally had a meeting this morning at 8am at breakfast and we decided to break up into two groups, since we could not decide what and where to go. Ray jumped out there and said he would lead a group and do the Badland Route. I decided that I would a group to the Crazy Horse Route. Well in my group I had Gary and Sheryl, Frank, Lance, Marty, Larry, Butch and Dennis as my tail gunner. We left about 8:30 and headed out to the Black Hills.

After riding through historic Deadwood we stopped on the way at the Dam to get some scenic pictures and make a call to nature but the facility was closed so we stopped a few miles later at the Conoco Station.

Our first stop was the Crazy Horse Monument, what a great facility and a great cause. It is one of my favorite places to visit, for some reason it just feels right about supporting the construction of the facility. After spending about two hours we decided it was time for lunch and headed into Custer.

Dennis had heard about a place called the Black Hills Hamburger and Bun so we set out to find it. This is where it gets kinda funny, we stopped at a gas station and over the radio I asked Dennis to go inside and ask where it was located since I could not find it on the GPS. Dennis walks in the station once inside I look next door and it’s right there, next to the station so as he comes walking out we both point at it at the same time. I had asked Lance to go ahead and go over there and get a table for nine. I have no idea why but as soon as I saw Dennis heading to his bike we took off for the restaurant but as we all pulled up to it there was no place to park and people were waiting in line to go in so I told Lance to forget it and we will go somewhere else. So we started riding around town looking for a place to eat once we found a place and parked we noticed that we did not have a Dennis, we had left him back at the station and he had no idea where we were at. My cell phone rings and its Dennis wondering where in the heck are you guys. We did get all back together and had a great lunch.

We had a beautiful ride in Custer Park saw hundreds of Prairie Dogs, some Sheep and LOTS of Buffalo with some standing right next to the road.

After a REALLY LONG and BORING ride on HWY 79 for about 40 miles and another AGONIZING and PAINFUL few miles through downtown Rapid City it was a great surprise to wind up on fantastic Nemo Road, I’m talking FANTASTIC!! A few times Lance, Frank and myself had what I would call a spirited ride on perfect pavement. Man oh man that was a LOT of fun.

We did go through Sturgis and it was strange for the town to be so quiet and not to see a town full of motorcycles but it was great for everyone to be to at least say they had been to Sturgis for those who had not been here during Bike Week.

We than went up 85 towards our hotel I wanted to take everyone to Tatanka. Tatanka is a beautiful place Kevin Costner built after filming Dancing with the Wolves, he dedicated it by telling the history of the Bison and how important the Bison was to the Indians. Unfortunately it was closed for the season so we could not go in.

We got back to the hotel about 5pm and rested up for dinner. Once again we met over at the Millstone Restaurant. Everyone must have been a little tired because most went to their room fairly early.

Well another boring day of riding in this beautiful country with full sunshine and high of 79 degrees. Oh Well someone has to do it!!!

Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment